Diploma in Pharmacy Technician
Any person who holds “diploma in Pharmacy” from Pakistan Pharmacy Council recognized university or institute, has a registration certificate from Provincial Pharmacy Council is known as Pharmacy Technician. The Provincial Council enters the name of respective pharmacist in register-B.
Employability of Pharmacy Technician
Pharmacy technician can work in a variety of locations like community pharmacy, retail pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, pharmaceutical manufacturers or other health care units of Government or NGOs under the direct supervision of licensed pharmacist or other health professional.
ADMISSION TO EXAMINATION OR REGISTRATION IN REGISTER “B”.
Minimum academic requirements for admissions to Examination for Registration in Register “B”.
The following shall be the minimum academic qualifications for admission of a candidate to the examination for registration in Register “B”, namely:-
(i) The candidate should have passed the Matriculation Examination (Secondary School Certificate Examination) with Science or an equivalent examination of a Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education in Pakistan;
(ii) The candidate should have passed an examination of a foreign university or examining body, which in scope and standard is equivalent to the Matriculation Examination with Science (Secondary School Certificate Examination) of a Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education in Pakistan.
OBJECTIVES OF CURRICULUM
General principles and objectives regarding curriculum and teaching:-
1) The following general principles shall be observed while evaluating students for the examination for registration in Register “B”, namely:-
- Students should be able to recognize and manage common problems, and make appropriate referrals;
- the role of new developments in the drug delivery system may be kept in mind while working out the details of curriculum;
- the examination for the Part I and II will be conducted separately.
2) Integration should be promoted between basic subjects, pharmaceutical subjects and different pharmacy subjects.
Objectives of evaluation through examinations:-
(1) Evaluation of the knowledge and skills will be done through Examinations. The Examination shall be spread in two parts i.e. Part – I and Part-II. These examinations shall be held as and when as decided by the Provincial Pharmacy Council with the approval of the Central Pharmacy Council. After a period of one year after appearing in Examination for Part-I, the student will be eligible to appear in the Examination for Part-II. Which will be conducted after a gap of one year.
Evaluation through examinations will be achieved by adopting the following processes.
- no student shall be allowed to sit in Part – II Examination, unless he has passed the Part-I examination;
- not more than three chances shall be allowed for passing each examination;
- the percentage of pass marks in each subject should not be less than fifty percent in theory and fifty percent in practical;
- no grace mark should be allowed in any examination;
- there should not be more than two examinations in a year;
- the performance of candidates in all evaluations and examinations should be carefully supervised;
- forty percent of each paper shall consist of the multiple choice questions (MCQs), while the rest 60% will be short structured essays, extended essays, etc;
- in all examinations sufficient time should be assigned to practical work in order to test the thoroughness of knowledge and practical skills of students;
- a student who appears for examination in any subject and passes in theory but fails in practical or vice versa, shall reappear only in theory or, as the case may be, in practical in which he fails;
- a student who appears for examination in any subject and fails both in theory as well as practical, shall have to reappear in both theory and practical; and
a student who appears in an examination and passes in one or more subjects shall not have to reappear for examination in such subjects provided that he passes the subjects in which he fails in a stipulated time period.